Monday, January 25, 2010

History made! Who dat say dey gonna beat dem Saints?

So it's probably no surprise to you who are reading, to learn this: I'm not the biggest sports fan on earth. I cheered in high school, but I had to be told when to cheer for "offense" and "defense".. "Ginny why are you jumping up and down, the opponent just scored a field goal... where do your allegiances lie?" Sometimes, I put ESPN on when I'm having trouble falling asleep, much like how some pick up old economics textbooks. It's not that I dislike the sports, it's more just a lack of interest/ I don't feel involved/ am not educated/ would rather watch Law and Order SVU/ make a snack.

So I was surprised when I found myself so completely and utterly enthralled and involved in this football game yesterday. With a family from New Orleans, the Saints have been a part of life ever since I could remember, it just wasn't ever something I was personally interested in. I remember Mom in the living room, stifling the yells/possible profanity, stuffing her face into a pillow on Monday nights because the kids we're sleeping.

I don't think I had ever watched an entire football game on TV in my life. I went over to Mom and Dads with a few very apropos po' boys from BB's around 2. The game started at 5 and right from the get go, it was a ping pong match; back and forth, neck and neck. I left Cypress at half time, got in the car to head back downtown...when I did something astounding (well, to me..). I put the radio on.... 790AM. I KNOW. (I KNOW!)

I hurried home and continued to watch this stressful, intense, nail biting football game with my roommate, Nora, and we were both surprised at ourselves to be jumping up and down, yelling and (honestly...) highfiving each other when that 23 yr old kid kicked that winning field goal in OT. "I bet our neighbors are freaked out right now.. like.. who knew those chicks were such football fans?"

But honestly, it was just fun... I genuinely enjoyed myself, backing the home team and rooting for the good guys. New Orleans has never been to the Superbowl, just like I've never watched a Superbowl, but this year will be different. It won't just be a Sunday where you can get 50 chicken nuggets for 20 dollars, but it will mean a little more. Last night the coach, Sean Payton said "Four years ago, there were holes in this roof. The fans in this city and this region deserve it...I’m just proud to be a part of it, to be part of something that is so special for this city and well deserved.” and... maybe I got a little choked up.. maybe I didn't...but the city does need and deserve it.


So maybe I didn't watch any other Saints games this season. Maybe I don't know the names of the players, and I don't know the rules or positions, but I got into the spirit, am maybe a little hoarse today, I got excited and enjoyed myself... that's what matters, right?
So, Geaux, Saints. Take two excedrin this morning, probably some alka seltzer, sleep in a bit, and go to Florida.
The Saints were admitted into the NFL at a league meeting held on November 1, 1966. That day also happened to be the Roman Catholic Holiday All Saints Day, New Orleans ownership felt it was only natural to call them the Saints for the day they were born. { source }

3 comments:

  1. Great post today! That was a really fun game.....chicks watching football: "look at that guys teeth!" "Oh I like his hair..." "they have pancake butts!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. "hey,cool beard, beardo" srsly haven't been that excited about teevee since the last season's true blood finale...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post =). I'm enjoying pullin' for the Saints all the way up here.

    I even got a couple of rude looks in the pub yesterday. I'm a loud Louisianian ... what.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me somethin'

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...