Thursday, February 11, 2010

Love Story #6: Nora

[Nora] "I guess you could say that I’ve never really looked at this holiday as a “holiday for lovers”. My Valentine’s gifts generally came from my parents and I was, and still am, a-okay with that. It’s always just been another day – maybe with just a little more affection than others.

Unfortunately many have fallen into the commercial “romantic” aspect of the day. There are maaaanymanymanymany gals – and a few dudes - that take this day way too seriously. I don’t think I’ve ever been like that...I’m not breaking down screaming “Why me?!” while shaking my fists to the heavens because I don’t have a date to take me PF Changs or a Prix Fix meal on this holiest of days. Valentine’s Day doesn’t have to be about that....it can be just taking a moment to really appreciate love itself.

I know I was asked to focus on a particular love, but I just couldn’t. There are a million tiny things in my life that I love and that make me who I am, so here it goes...

I love my hilarious friends (srsly. comedic gold if I do say so myself). I love my neighborhood and my short commute and, not counting this past month, Houston weather. I love being so close to my parents and to my brother and I really love that he’s a chef. I love limes and sunglasses and good books and a stiff drink. I love funny voices and movie quotes and jokes that drag on for 30 minutes. I love graphic design and macs and being a font-snob. I love music beyond words – I loved that my parents forced me to take piano lessons and that I played to oboe (and played it damn well too) for many years and that I obsessively check about 24 rss feeds of music blogs every morning. I love being a Mexican American– I feel so lucky to have such strong ties to a culture that is so rich in tradition. I love that my parents recently celebrated their 30th anniversary and that they have been the perfect role models for a lasting marriage. I even love the fact that I haven’t fallen into the pessimistic I’m-going-to-be-single-forever-rut, because I know I won’t.

That said, I will participate in a couple of “anti-valentines” parties because who am I to turn down an invitation? I’ll be cynical and cursing my horrible luck with men on the outside, but you will know that deep-down I’m optimistic and that I’m perfectly happy getting flowers and chocolates from my dad.

To quote the cinematic legend Mr. Hugh Grant, “If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around.”

PS – I love Dixie and the Fuzz too."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me somethin'

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...