Tuesday, July 7, 2009

" On n'aime que ce qu'on ne possède pas tout entier" - Marcel Proust

"We love only what we do not wholly possess"

My impressions of France/ French life/ culture are mostly derived from films, music, blog posts of the past written by family and friends...but all are my own renditions from other's experiences, or my interpretations other people's real impressions, as i have never been myself. I imagine it to look like how Amelie is filmed, or for everyone and everything to be grainy, vintage, black and white and very.. 60's kitsch like in Jules et Jim. I imagine everyone to be ridiculously fashionable, smoking long skinny cigarettes and for there to be accordion music playing on every cobblestone street corner. I imagine fresh bakeries and fruit stands every 20 feet ( _x_ meters), sunny cafes serving chocolate covered plain biscuits with every espresso, and wine and cheese... WINNEEEEE and cheese as far as the eye can see. I have photographs of Paris in my bedroom, black and white behind glass, like one would have in a frame to remind them of times spent in foreign lands and it seems silly for a girl who has never set foot on French soil. I know this is probably far from the reality, these imagined perceptions, but i wonder if it's like that for some people and if one day it can be like that for me. But for now, while living in the states, I can do things like this...and then go out for wine and cheese with a friend who, two years ago, came to visit me in Prague while she was living in Paris. bon soir..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me somethin'

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...