Monday, August 16, 2010


This past weekend was a make-it-happen weekend. I resolved to make some new things and I did!

After work on Friday, I went over to the massive Spec's downtown. This is not just a liquor store...they have an amazing and exotic assortment of foods from all over the world! Cheese, jams, fruits and veggies, crackers/cookies, spices and could really hurt yourself there..and sometimes I do.

It's been ridiculously hot here...Typically after work I enjoy a glass of red wine while watching the news, but lately it's just been too hot for room temperature red wine. Remedy? Sangria! I don't know why it took me this late in the summer to whip up a pitcher, but I think it will be a weekend staple from here on out in the house. Everyone loved it! I emptied a bottle of Tempranillo Rioja into a pitcher with 2 large handfuls of pineapple chunks, strawberries and grapes. I added 3 tablespoons of sugar, a little pineapple juice and stuck it in the fridge for about an hour. After a good stir, pour over a wine glass with ice, throw some fruit in there and shazzam! It's cool, sweet and refreshing. The perfect summertime substitution for a Cabernet.

While I was browsing cocktail recipe books at Spec's I came across this amazing appetizer. I'm not a huge fan of blue cheese and I had goat cheese at home so I made a little substitution and whipped up a batch of these guys:

You need- 2/3 cups walnuts, chopped (you could substitute pecans or any chopped nut, really) 4 oz cream cheese, softened, 6 oz crumbled blue cheese, 20 loose seedless red grapes

Toast walnuts under the broiler for 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly toasted, transfer to a small bowl. In another small bowl blend and mix together the cheese, cover and place in refrigerator to firm up slightly for approximately 15 minutes. Put one heaping teaspoon of the mixture in the palm of your hand with a grape in the center and roll between both palms until the grape is completely coated, then roll in the toasted walnuts. Place on a plate single layer without touching each other and chill for 30 minutes or until coating is firm, and serve.

Friday was full of kitchen fun!

Saturday was a busy one, too. Ryan and I got up semi-early (read: 9am) and hit the Farmer's Market! We stocked up on mangoes, nectarines, lemons, limes, cucumbers, tomatoes and lots of other colorful fruits and veggies. We had a great lunch at Onion Creek before heading over to Central Market...and regretting that we paid for lunch. You really can just fill up on all the wonderful tasters there. We sampled coffee, wine, bread, salsa, cheese, name it. We left feeling like we were going to pop. We were supposed to hit the junk shop, but succumbed to a nap instead. That evening, I made my first ever batch of chocolate mousse with homemade whip. oh.. my...want it every day. Recipe over here!

Sunday was nice and lazy...the temp on my car read 104...I'm not doing anything outside when it's 104.

This weekend I took out some bright, colorful skeins of yarn and got to work on an urban guerrilla crochet project I had been wanting to start. I finished and "installed" it on Saturday night and snapped a quick photo Sunday morning. Don't you think it brightens up the corner of Hopkins and Fargo a bit? Gotta love the Montrose.

I'm pretty sure it's illegal...and it would honestly make me sad-face if someone tore it down...but I'm gonna enjoy it as long as it's there.

For more on urban/guerrilla knit, click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me somethin'


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...