Thursday, September 24, 2009

"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.” - Hemingway

I pass it twice a day, going to and coming home from work. I'm driving South on Studemont and I see this little brown sign with an arrow pointing to the right: "Museum of Printing History". Could be neat, but never really gave it much thought. I looked into it today, curious, and it looks alot neater than I first thought. Not only do they have permanent and traveling exhibitions, but they offer a wide variety of classes from learning how to create your own wood type posters like the one below (which I would be 100% all over if the class didn't cost 120$ )

to Lithography, silk screening and making your own paper from pulp! I'll definitely be attending this one:

Holiday Pop-Up Cards
Learn Paper Engineering! Create holiday themed Pop-Up Cards, while learning basic techniques, terms, and a foundation for creative exploration. Each student will make three cards using mechanisms including pivot, generation, spring & more.
Date: Tuesday, November 17: Tuition: $45 plus $10 materials fee.

There is an exhibition opening in a few days that I'm interested in visiting, as I love the look/ intricate mechanics of antique typewriters: click here to see full details!
When I was in 7th grade, my parents bought me my very own electric typewriter. It was grey, bulky and had a big plastic cover, but I don't remember the brand...who knew that 15 years later I'd wonder about it.. and maybe wish I still had it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me somethin'

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...